Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 20 of 365: Grammatically simple

Semi-quiet today. Went lunch with the janitor of the clinic, which is pizza at his buddy's coffee shop. Pretty cool establishment with really good coffee. Strong, yet not very heavy on the bitterness. I really enjoy talking to this guy. Almost feels like my days in Singapore during High School where we could loosely joke around, but still be able to talk about deep stuff. Interesting work relationship there, but I respect the man.

I ran into...Elder Lai's wife? I think it's Lai ma ma... Well, it's the one that is the mother-in-law of my clinic's Medical Director, so...I don't know where that would go. Just thought it was amusing to run into people from church when I'm working. Almost feels like I have to be extra courteous since I'm starting to get really firm on most patients.

Speaking on being firm on patients, one of them was giving me and a nurse a hard time. He had an appointment in the morning, but came in mid-afternoon. Naturally, if you miss the schedule we reschedule, but this appointment would have to be done elsewhere (SF General). He didn't like the idea of going to SFGH for the appointment and used the reasoning that most patients use, "I live nearby, why should I go to SFGH?". The thing is, this is something out of our hands. Miss this certain appointment and it's off to SFGH. Can't do anything about it, but he was particularly determined that this wasn't the policy before. Now I'm pretty sure he wasn't listening to every word carefully and is probably selectively listening to me and the nurse. After tuning my English to a more grammatically simple English, I finally convey the policy across to him and got him to understand why it is so. He apologized and then left. No further questions or inquiries. This job can be boring, but when it's exciting, it tests many fruits of the Spirit. Thank God for opportunities to expand.

Dinner is Shepard's Pie. At least, Amos was trying to make it. Mike and Vincent was over by the time I got back and I think Mike took the head chef role and Amos stood in as sous chef? Well, it came out good. One plate was all it took to fill everyone up. There's plenty of leftovers to fill in breakfast, lunch and dinner until this Friday. Good stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment