Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 19 of 365: Annoying distraction

One highlight of the day. Actually, two highlights that made work interesting. Both were phone conversations with patients and both have a sort of annoying distraction in the background. First of the two is the conversation that has the echo of my voice in the background. Can't say how hard it was to concentrate on my message to the patient when you can hear the same words echoing back to you. It was really confusing to the point where I had to pause for a moment to get my bearings straight. I did manage to focus my attention on what to say and ignore the echo. Hecka annoying...

Second of the two is probably not as bad in the beginning, but later on, it's like a migraine.. This time around was a conversation with a patient that doesn't speak much English, broken that the most. On top of that, there's a consistent 'beep' in the background. This 'beep' is the exact same sound that emits from a really cheap alarm clock bought from a Chinese store. From the first second to the moment of hanging up this 'beep beep beep beep beep' goes on and on and on. I wasn't sure if the patient was aware of my annoyance, but I think we were concentrating so hard on what we are saying to each other, the 'beep' didn't matter. What matter was to get it over with for my side and get what he need on his side. Lovely...

BSF was like an after school program all over again. Now I'm starting to like the administrative stuff, but being the disciplinary figure isn't as easy as it usually is. This time around I need to watch what I say and follow the "guidelines" that the BSF manual provides. Can't say that every thing in that manual works, but one thing I appreciate about BSF is the strict reinforcement of rules. Some people in the world forgot what it's like to follow rules and this is a comfort, in some strange way, for me to realign with the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment