Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day 10 of 365: Encouraging words

We didn't get to check out Grace Community today as planned, but we visited Kristy's church, Church of Southland, instead. It's a Korean based community with a church in the industrial district of Anahiem. It's a good church from the looks of it, so Kristy is in good hands. Her youth pastor mistaken me as Dad though. Give him a weird look when he asked me if I was "Mr. Lee". In a way I am, but that's reserved for later usage. "No...Jeremy", I replied with that look.

I like the worship team in this church. Very balanced as Kristy would so professionally describe it, which it is. One drummer, one bassist, one electrical guitarist, one keyboardist, two acoustic guitarists/lead vocalist, and three back-up vocalist. Not one instrument was overpowering the lead guitars. Very musically talented...except maybe the bassist. Then again, I understand that the songs were played mostly in 4/4 and in the style of contemporary Christian rock/pop....What the heck am I saying?

After service, the four of us decided to head back to Kristy's dorm to drop some of her...bags. I think I'm starting to get to know the area well enough to use the GPS lightly. Not much to think about really. Beach Boulevard pretty much is like the main road to look out for and then it's the road that leads to Knott's Berry Farm, a Medieval dinner arena (always wanted to try that!) and a Pirate-theme dinner place.

We headed out to lunch and tried to avoid anything beef after last night's Korean Barbecue dinner. Checking the list of choices that the GPS gave us, every other listing had 'burger' after it... Bleh... So we narrowed it down to Japanese and hope for the best. And hope found us a good ramen joint! It's called Tampopo and you can yelp that. It's pretty decent and fairly accurate to the Tokyo ramen. Only thing is that the broth was almost tasteless. The sushi rolls were...not as great as sushi places in the Bay Area, but I'll save the little details for my yelp review!

With lunch packed into our "little" guts, we decided, or rather Amos did, to head to the nearest Border's. Fortunately, one was located less than a couple miles down a road. Amos wanted to look for a couple of books as references to his major and we just tagged along. Mom and I went ahead to Seattle's Best Coffee for some joe. Large each for the long road back to the Bay Area. After making our purchase, it's back to Kristy's church to drop her off and then get back on the road again. I have to say, dropping Kristy off reminded me of the days in the Army. Being dropped of and waving farewells is hard, but harder when you're in a place you don't like very much. Thank God that Kristy's circumstances are better than mine or my brother's.

The trip back wasn't as bad as the trip down. And it's not surprising to see the south bound freeway packed with cars that are practically touching each other. I started the first leg of the trip from Anahiem to the foot of the hills. Mom took over after that and went for about 100 miles before passing the baton to Amos for another long stretch. I took the rest of the trip. The drive wasn't that bad overall, but I did feel bloaty and farty towards the last hour of the trip. Felt really nasty...

No comments:

Post a Comment